The convent of the ancient city of Saidnaya in 1925

Views: 10635


Saidnaya, which stands 27 kilometers north of Damascus, was one of the cities of the ancient Patriarchate of Antioch. The convent, whose name “Our Lady” refers to the Virgin Mary, is a main tourist attraction in Syria. The town is noted as being the last place in the world where Aramaic is still spoken, being the language of Jesus Christ.